- - - - -

Tucked Up (Flanks)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stroppy Mare_*

Guest_Stroppy Mare_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

Misty is generally quite well covered body wise but does appear tucked up (top half) of her flanks - sometimes it seems worse if she's standing a particular way but she's definitely tucked up - she does drink quite a lot - more than any other horse i've owned - she has been wormed I did that last Wednesday - any ideas why she might be like that ?

#2 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
  • Interests:My boys and hunting!
  • Your Horse Breed:ISH & Welsh B & Welsh C

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

Don't know!
Different horses do drink a lot, when Liz had her old horse, Jazz, here, it drank loads more than Clodagh and we had its kidneys checked out ion the end. Was she vetted? Jazz's kidneys were fine, she just drank a lot. :verrek:

#3 loobylu

loobylu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts
  • Interests:Horses- anything and everything once! I have an aversion to mounted games but can be persuaded....<br />Reading- I'm a poetry geek and love reading everythiing I can lay my hands on, including cereal boxes at breakfast!<br />Love playing volleyball and badminton but wouldn't claim to be any more than competent, used to run alot and I am permanently 'intending' to take it more seriously.<br />I love long discussions about subjects waaay over my head when supplied with intravenous alcohol and will argue with a brick wall till the cows come home, in fact make that until the cows are safely bedded down for the night!
  • Your Horse Breed:Various- excercising 13hh welshies to 17hh TB/WB

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

I had always assumed it was a tension thing but could it just be the difference between a fibre belly and the less full bit above it?

#4 ybhorsey

ybhorsey

• PipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts
  • Interests:My 2 little girls<br />Amber 5 1/2years<br />Little E 4 years<br /><br />My horses<br />Perdy 15.1hh Grey Arab<br />Flo 10.3hh Skewbald ShetxWelsh<br /><br />Love my animals and my car and off road driving too!<br /><br />Puppy Walker for the Guide Dogs for the Blind
  • Your Horse Breed:Arab and ShettiexWelsh

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Last wednesday for the worming did she pass lots of nasties? She could still look a little under weight if she was carrying a burden, she may just be a little inder weight though she looked nice in those pics you posted.

What are her poos like, sloppy, smelly?

Of course she could just be stressed, especially if shes never been backed!! Sorry thats not funny but you know what I mean, shes learning alot, lots of new strange things she might be a little bemused/stressed by it all, you could try Rescue Rem it won't hurt

#5 loobylu

loobylu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts
  • Interests:Horses- anything and everything once! I have an aversion to mounted games but can be persuaded....<br />Reading- I'm a poetry geek and love reading everythiing I can lay my hands on, including cereal boxes at breakfast!<br />Love playing volleyball and badminton but wouldn't claim to be any more than competent, used to run alot and I am permanently 'intending' to take it more seriously.<br />I love long discussions about subjects waaay over my head when supplied with intravenous alcohol and will argue with a brick wall till the cows come home, in fact make that until the cows are safely bedded down for the night!
  • Your Horse Breed:Various- excercising 13hh welshies to 17hh TB/WB

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

Just to say I thought your post said Molly not misty, so yep, I would see what she's like once you've had a her a little longer and she's let herself breathe!

#6 Guest_Stroppy Mare_*

Guest_Stroppy Mare_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:09 AM

Thanks ladies for your suggestions.

Naughty I know but I didn't have her vet checked- can't say i've ever had a vet check yet just never seem to have that extra 400 (one day I might pay dearly for it but so far so good touch wood :verrek: ).

Hopefully it is just a tension thing I hadn't given that a thought - she didn't pass anything after being wormed and I really did have a good ol rummage when she done a poo while being groomed, I used an Equest wormer as that's the program the whole yard are on for this year so I just slotted her in with them.

Her poo seems to be normal, colour, smell etc, nothing seems out of the ordinary with it - it just stinks like the rest of them do :tomato:

#7 Ruth

Ruth

Horsetrace Manager

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,630 posts
  • Interests:well youve seen my photo, what do you expect.

Interest: horses/ponies and carriage driving and donkeys and pets.
  • Your Horse Breed:Donkeys
Contributor

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

Equest is well known for it's ability to clear any 'backlog' of worms, so I think you can safely rule out worms. I take it she is not just cold.

PS. We have never had an animal vetted either, so far so good...touches every bit of wood in sight

#8 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
  • Interests:My boys and hunting!
  • Your Horse Breed:ISH & Welsh B & Welsh C

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

I've never had one vetted either!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users