22 replies to this topic

#1 sean

sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Have discovered Laylas mane is falling out!! on closer inspection her neck (just where the mane is) is pink and flaky :unsure:

I think it is because of her field rug it has a full neck cover and think maybe is has sweated on her neck.

Have now changed rugs to one without the cover and bathed her neck with hibi scrub

Hopefully i have got to the problem just in time

#2 Katie

Katie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:08 AM

Oh dear Sean, don't really have any advise, but sounds like you have it under control.I hope it gets better soon

#3 sean

sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:29 AM

Just thought could it be mites? :unsure:

#4 Ruth

Ruth

Horsetrace Manager

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,630 posts
  • Interests:well youve seen my photo, what do you expect.

Interest: horses/ponies and carriage driving and donkeys and pets.
  • Your Horse Breed:Donkeys
Contributor

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:42 PM

Can you see anything Sean. Are the flakes tiny and even or bigger and all shapes. Where is it worse affected?

It is unlikely to be from sweating but could be from the rug rubbing. Is there any itching or scurf anywhere else? It may be worth dosing with Louse powder just incase, although normally there would be signs elsewhere too. Not sure if Hibi Scrub would kill lice itself. Anyone?

#5 loobylu

loobylu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts
  • Interests:Horses- anything and everything once! I have an aversion to mounted games but can be persuaded....<br />Reading- I'm a poetry geek and love reading everythiing I can lay my hands on, including cereal boxes at breakfast!<br />Love playing volleyball and badminton but wouldn't claim to be any more than competent, used to run alot and I am permanently 'intending' to take it more seriously.<br />I love long discussions about subjects waaay over my head when supplied with intravenous alcohol and will argue with a brick wall till the cows come home, in fact make that until the cows are safely bedded down for the night!
  • Your Horse Breed:Various- excercising 13hh welshies to 17hh TB/WB

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

Try rubbing some baby oil in daily. May just be dry at this time of year. Feed oil and I'm sure the linseed converts will sing its praises! :blink: Just a warning but soem horses have a reaction to hibiscrub but if you usually use it it I'm tyalking rubbish. bally's life practicaly depends on the stuff! :lol: Also -could it just be moulting a bit if she is hairy?

#6 sean

sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

The affected area is only where the neck cover goes up to, the flakes im pretty sure are skin

Attached Files

#7 ybhorsey

ybhorsey

• PipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts
  • Interests:My 2 little girls<br />Amber 5 1/2years<br />Little E 4 years<br /><br />My horses<br />Perdy 15.1hh Grey Arab<br />Flo 10.3hh Skewbald ShetxWelsh<br /><br />Love my animals and my car and off road driving too!<br /><br />Puppy Walker for the Guide Dogs for the Blind
  • Your Horse Breed:Arab and ShettiexWelsh

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:32 PM

Skin does look irritated...maybe shes been rubbing her neck on fence posts?

Are they creosoted..some horses have very sensitive skin?

#8 sean

sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:47 AM

The wooden posts dont look like they have had any treatments so i think can rule that out....only problem is if it does start to itch and she rubs say bye to her mane :lol:

#9 LauraH

LauraH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts
  • Interests:Horses of course!
  • Your Horse Breed:IDTBXWarmblood

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:21 PM

Hi Sean,
Pippa had same problem. Where her neck cover met her rug she got a bald bit and it was all flaky. Vet said it was dermatitis. Like mud fever on her neck, only problem was Pip's got infected so all her neck swelled up and was really sore. Vet told me to bathe in salt water twice a day, dry off really well and put vaseline on to keep moisturised (and keep mud out). Had to take neck cover off till healed. I have now got her an anti rub vest with a full neck on it and that stops the rubbing. Could this be same thing but without infection??
Hope I've helped!

Ooh sorry just seen picture! Looks like same thing to me?!

#10 sean

sean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:23 PM

I think it is yea :( hopefully it has been caught in time will see how the salt water and vaseline go cheers

#11 Loraine Patrick

Loraine Patrick

Equine Behavourist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:Equine, Reading, photography, wild life, .....
  • Your Horse Breed:TB. TBxID. TBxHan. AA.

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:42 AM

It's the neck cover, separate ones don't do it.
The worst ones are the ones where they've just added a bit to a half neck rug to make it 'full', the seam rubs the mane badly, the ones that are purpose made complete are better but still rub, I now have a full neck that is removeable and where it attaches the velcro is positioned so that the rug doesn't lie flat on the mane.

The problem with the full neck is that it doesn't slide freely like the separate ones, it has the full weight of the rug pulling on it as it moves up and down the neck.

Otto is now in his 4th full neck rug, so far so good, all of the others rubbed his mane out.

Don't worry yours will grow out :(

#12 LauraH

LauraH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

It's the neck cover, separate ones don't do it.

Pippa's rug has a removable neck cover but the vet thought that mud must have got in between the rug and the neck cover where they join and then been rubbed in as she moved around? The full neck lycra jobbie seems to do the trick though as it stops rubbing bit, she looks like a muppet but it works, her mane is growing back now!

#13 Steffi

Steffi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

Alana has the same problem, too. But at her mane baby oil doesn't help. :unsure: The veterinary says that she has a problem with her worm regimen. So we take anther and her mane doesn't fall out anymore. Maybe there is a problem with feed or medicaments...etc..

Steffi :)

#14 LauraH

LauraH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

Thought I'd just amuse you all with nice pics of Pippa in her rather attractive neck cover!

Attached File  CAI7YJAX.jpg   4.1KB   21 downloads

Attached File  CAUJYJMT.jpg   4.58KB   16 downloads

Doesn't she look great! Obviously she's not that impressed!! :angry:

#15 ybhorsey

ybhorsey

• PipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts
  • Interests:My 2 little girls<br />Amber 5 1/2years<br />Little E 4 years<br /><br />My horses<br />Perdy 15.1hh Grey Arab<br />Flo 10.3hh Skewbald ShetxWelsh<br /><br />Love my animals and my car and off road driving too!<br /><br />Puppy Walker for the Guide Dogs for the Blind
  • Your Horse Breed:Arab and ShettiexWelsh

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:33 PM

Love it..pippa looks like one of those cyclists in the aerodynamic suits :angry: :angry:

#16 loobylu

loobylu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts
  • Interests:Horses- anything and everything once! I have an aversion to mounted games but can be persuaded....<br />Reading- I'm a poetry geek and love reading everythiing I can lay my hands on, including cereal boxes at breakfast!<br />Love playing volleyball and badminton but wouldn't claim to be any more than competent, used to run alot and I am permanently 'intending' to take it more seriously.<br />I love long discussions about subjects waaay over my head when supplied with intravenous alcohol and will argue with a brick wall till the cows come home, in fact make that until the cows are safely bedded down for the night!

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

oooo cycling shorts :angry: :angry:

#17 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
  • Interests:My boys and hunting!
  • Your Horse Breed:ISH & Welsh B & Welsh C

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

When its really cold mine wear the full face lycra hoods. Everytime OH walks past the field he comes back singing 'I'm a dandy highwayman...'

OK, younguns - name that tune!! :verrek:

#18 Ruth

Ruth

Horsetrace Manager

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,630 posts

Contributor

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:09 PM

Stand and deliver, your money or you-ur life......wahay...Adam and the Ants :verrek: :P ;)

#19 loobylu

loobylu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

counting yourself as a young gun now Ruth?! hehe good for you :P To my shame I had to google it.... :verrek:

#20 Sian

Sian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Your Horse Breed:Connemara / Welsh Sec A

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:53 PM

Touch wood have not really had problems with neck rugs rubbing, I had a fab Rambo with detachable hood that fitted 101% but that got old and trashed and I couldnt afford to keep him in Rambo (sorry George!) so he had a weatherbeeta with a full neck which amazingly doesnt rub cos everyone else who has them have mane-less horses!
I think George must just be a very standard shape and all the rugs are modelled on him!
My friends horse had lost most of its mane within days of going into a full neck rug. She's trying to grow it back deperately as she qualified for loads of showing thingys this spring! (Its Welsh D).
We have even thought about extensions but decided pony wont be able to keep still for long enough to have them tied in! BF (who is a hairdresser) thinks we're bonkers!

#21 Steffi

Steffi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

Laura very decorative :D
Isn't it troubling for your horse ??

Steffi :)

#22 Ruth

Ruth

Horsetrace Manager

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,630 posts

Contributor

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:19 PM

Young at heart Loo :verrek: :P

#23 painted_palomino

painted_palomino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:riding, swimming, camping, fishing, <br />training, running, TV, video games, <br />anything that doesnt involve HOMEWORK

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:38 PM

sadly, had this problem with D smb 2 boots.
dirt got in while i was riding and rubbed sores on the front and back of one
of his rear legs. :P
so have had to do away with any kind of wrap/boot for a while, his tendons are taking it well
though.

Happy to hear you got it sorted out sean!! :verrek:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users